Thursday, April 9, 2009

THE REAL WORLD

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that I absolutely love teaching. It is my passion and definitely where I'm suppose to be career wise. I work at a Title 1 school with students who are struggling in reading, mainly because of another language barrier. The kids are precious. Absolutely precious! And they say the most ridiculous stuff! That will come later though...I am seriously considering writing a book about all the funny yet insightful things children say. Their young minds are fascinating!

Okay...rewinding a little bit. I left Lubbock on December 10, 2008 and haven't looked back yet. I was saddest to leave the snow, and of course my handful of friends that are still living there, but other than them all my other friends had moved on. That place was too stuffy/crowded for me. I am definitely a city girl. Anyways, when I arrived at my parents' house in Kingwood the night of the 11Th it snowed, and somehow I knew that God was going to comfort me in all I was about to go through. You see, at this point 4 months ago, I had no idea where the heck I was going to end up! I had applied EVERYWHERE and was hounding districts for interviews. I got 6 with Cy-Fair ISD and went for it. I actually ended up with a choice of 3 different schools, and I chose Sheridan. I couldn't be happier! The staff at my school is amazing. They are so supportive and outgoing and fun to be around! So, I had a job and was super stoked. The 2 week Holiday went by and I was able to catch up with all my friends and family that were in town. Then school started. I was so stinkin' nervous! I think they scariest part was that my area to work in was the corner of the library. To someone who has always had walls, it was a little terrifying. I felt like I was on display! Now I'm use to it though, and the kids love coming to visit me knowing I'm always going to be there for them in plain sight. And, for the most part, I am able to keep the voices of my students dialed down =) haha... The relationships I've made with the students is something I've always dreamed about having. I had awesome relationships with my teachers growing up, and I wanted to pass that on. I feel blessed to have the chance now.

I lived with mom and dad until the last weekend of February. That was interesting to say the least! Now I live with a childhood friend whom I've stayed in touch with over the years; Marigny. We are both neat freaks as far as the kitchen/living room goes, and we both work the same hours and have the same lifestyle, so it's working out very nicely! It's nice to have her around =) It is also nice to have my parents only 45 minutes away. Oh my GOSH I can't even explain how much I cherish that! Being 9 hrs away from them really sucked over the years, and again I feel BLESSED to have them so close by. I'm not ashamed to admit they are my best friends. Greatest people you will ever meet!

Alright, I have made a promise to myself to update this more often. I just got a laptop a week ago and I'm on it all the time, so there are no excuses! Stay tuned!

No comments: