Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Professional Development

So every year there is a professional development requirement of 25 off-contract hours. However, for me, since I was just coming in mid-year, I only had to get 12 hours. I actually made it! Also, on top of that to my surprise, the three days of training I had for ARIP counted as on-contract professional development. Plus my off-contract hours meeting with my mentor, Cynthia, counted as well. So, I am going to be PAID $10/hr for every hour that exceeds 25 hours, even though some of it was on-contract. I was wondering though—since I’m coming in mid-year and the requirement for me was only 12 hours, why I am only getting paid for going over 25 and not 12?? Just a thought! It doesn’t seem fair. =)

So, I thought maybe I should talk a little bit about what I learned in my professional development hours. I took a “how to handle the hard to handle” class which was about how to discipline those children who fly off the handle and throw temper tantrums. I actually really enjoyed that class. My favorite way to cope with these children is to just repeat everything they say back to you in a calm tone. It’s hilarious, and it works! I use it all the time. For instance, a student of mine might say “I hate coming here!!”, and I’ll repeat back to him in a calm voice, “You hate coming here.” Then he’ll scream, “I hate school! I’m never coming back!”, and I’ll repeat back in a calm voice, “You hate coming here and you are never coming back.” He shuts up. Success!

I also took a PBIS intro class. It’s just like PBS from Lubbock ISD. It’s all about positive behavior in disciplining where teachers look for students doing positive behavior and praise them/thank them for following the specific instructions. It does NOT work for every child. And honestly I’m starting to get really fed up with the way some kids are acting these days. SOME act like they own the world. When I was a kid I wouldn’t have the guts to say and ask and treat adults the way some kids seem to do now. I think it is extremely disturbing! When I was a child I said yes ma’am and yes sir. No if ands or buts about it! Scary the way kids think that is asking too much now a day.

MORE TO COME…

No comments: