Saturday, March 1, 2008

Yum! MmMm! Que Rico! Craft Lesson

Resource: Mora, Pat. Yum! MmMm! Que Rico!: America's Sproutings. Illus. Rafael Lopez. New York: Lee & Low Books, Inc., 2007.

When I was in elementary school, I believe it was either third or fourth grade, we did this activity that involved learning about the different taste buds on our tongues. I remember how neat it was to learn where the bitter, sour, salty and sweet spots were located on our tongues. I will remember it forever because it was the ONLY time I had ever learned about the tongue in that much depth. With that said, I think this book could be perfect for introducing this lesson. Learning about the tongue is not required knowledge, but it is always fun to know! Therefore, after reading this book to my class, I will explain to the students that we will be learning about the different areas of our tongue and use the foods described in this book to apply the information hands-on, and to discuss what happens when we place the foods on different areas of our tongues. They could apply this lesson to every meal with their families and annoy everyone at the table by informing them what is going on inside their mouths. How fun!!!

2 comments:

Staci said...

I love this lesson! What a great way to use literature to introduce a science lesson.

Aspiring Teacher: said...

Very creative. The taste buds would be an excellent subject for this book. The best idea that I have read!