Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sidewalk Circus

Fleischman, Paul and Kevin Hawkes. Sidewalk Circus. Massachusetts: Candlewick, 2004.

I would like to do an activity with this book in a small group. I would hold the book and turn the pages while the kids took turns explaining what they saw and thought of the pictures. After doing this with the group, I will have the children tell of their own experiences when they have imagined something else going on while they were bored. Then, I will have them write a short draft of that experience. They can add pictures as well if they like. If they cannot recall a time where something like this happened, then I will tell them to use their imagination and make one up! Eventually, the students will revise and edit their papers to be published on the wall of the classroom for anyone to read.