Friday, March 21, 2008

Stuart's Cape: Opinion/Craft Lesson

Pennypacker, S. Stuart's Cape. Illus. Martin Matje. New York NY: Scholastic/Orchard Books, 2002.

What I thought about the book…
I am a fan of Pennypacker’s books, but I must admit that I was disappointed with this particular book of hers. For some reason, I could not relate to Stuart’s wild imagination. I had a really hard time connecting with his character. I feel the reason for this is because when I was about to enter third grade I had a lot of friends and never had a dull moment. I would play rollerblade hockey with my neighbor boys who were of all ages on my street, and I would play various other sports with anyone who could keep up with me. I was a tom boy, obviously. My imagination has never been as creative as Stuart’s even as a kid, and my imagination never got carried away as much as Stuart’s either. I also didn’t really like how Aunt Bubbles encouraged Stuart’s imagination. I found her reactions to everything Stuart did weird. I felt the flying and the growing of the toast was too far fetched to acknowledge.

Craft Lesson…
I think a fun writing activity could be pulled from this book. The idea I came up with was for each child to come up with their own idea of how they though Stuart’s first day of school went. They would use a web or some form of pre-writing to jot down their ideas, and they they’d eventually make a one page paper of it.
Also, I could have the students make their own capes. I could set out a lot of different materials and just let the students’ imaginations help them form their own capes.


No comments: