Friday, March 21, 2008

Chapter 14

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

Informational Books

I was a bit shocked when the text mentions that children's libraries organize the books 000-999 in 10 major categories and to find that fiction is only in the 800s. My immediate thought was, "Oh my gosh! I have only touched 1/10 of the children's books out there, and so have so many other kids!" Or something like that. I was just shocked basically. How could I have missed so many other books!? Well, when I kept reading I found the reasons for me missing all the other books holds true to why Tunnel and Jacobs say children have missed out on the other books as well. First, I have never used an informational book for pleasure reading. Second, my visits to the informational sections of the library were not by choice. I went to find research on any project I was doing or for any paper I had to write. Also, I have always thought informational books were boring because I'm pretty sure I did get headaches trying read certain ones. Anyways, this chapter helped re-direct my opinion on informational books, and I would like to start reading some for pleasure. For instance, I would love to read What You Never Knew About Tubs, Toilets, and Showers by Patricia Lauber, The Instant Answer Book of Countries by Warrender, and any Dorling Kindersley books. I will keep you posted!

No comments: