Friday, March 21, 2008

Read Aloud Reflection

The book I chose to read for my read aloud plan (just to refresh your memory!) is The Three Little Pigs by Barbara Brenner. I actually decided to read the book to the kids at the end of the day around 5:15. The timing actually worked out pretty well because we could not go outside like we normally do because of all the wind, and the children were starting to get really rambunctious hitting and kicking and screaming at each other. I had thirteen kids aged 2-5 left to be picked up at this time and so I decided to sit them all down and read a book! I think the way I introduced the story and read it with such animation helped the kids stay seated and listen to the story. I was actually thoroughly impressed with the way they ALL stayed seated.
One of my five year olds, Cooper, knew what was going to happen before I turned the page every time. He took the liberty of informing me and the class each time I turned the page. Lucky us! Another girl, Jocelyn, did me a favor by keeping every one quiet while I read. She sat square in front of me and was thoroughly engaged the whole time. Whenever someone ever so slightly just started to get out a word she would turn around and say “HUSH!” Oh, did I mention she is two?
Overall, the kids stayed seated and listened. They were so interested! I love it when kids are that engaged in a book. I read aloud a lot since I work at a preschool, and I find more and more just how awesome children think books are. I feel like it is a gift to have the privilege to read to young ones.

No comments: