Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chapter 15

Tunnel. Michael O. James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008.


Multicultural and International Books

I think the most experience I've had with multicultural books has come from this class in this semester alone. I don't remember reading any as a child. I understand that there is a need for more multicultural books to help prevent children from having xenophobia as adults, but I don't have a problem with people of another race nor have I ever. This may be because I did not grow up with a biased or racist family, and maybe everyone who grew up without reading multicultural books does not feel the same way as me. As a teacher I will have no problem bringing multicultural books into my classroom. I plan on looking into ALL the books and authors mentioned in this chapter and adding them to my children's books library. I understand that it might help "children avoid the pitfalls of ignorance that breed intolerance, hatred, and conflict" (194), and I am willing to do whatever it takes for children to avoid these such things.

No comments: