Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Chapter 16

Tunnel. Michael O. James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008.


Controversial Books

I liked how this chapter mentions that we can express our opinions on books without seeking to destroy them completely. So many people get offended by certain subjects or sayings that they try to fight certain books from ever being put into a library. I myself don't necessarily agree with a lot of books out there, but I feel that everyone should have a chance at getting informed in whatever type of interest they are seeking. When I read Cynthia's anecdote about reading To Kill a Mockingbird when she was in fifth grade, I myself was surprised to remember that I read it as a sophomore in high school. I can't believe a fifth grader had read it! I know for a fact parents would have a field day if they heard their 10 year old was going to read that book. And here we are worried that our children's generation is becoming too DE sensitized! Anyways, when I become a teacher in my own classroom I will be careful as to what I choose for my students to read, and I will be prepared to defend my reasons for choosing those books.

2 comments:

Lacee E. Jones said...

I agree that people should be able to have a choice at what they read even if we don't agree!

Unknown said...

For over forty years Controversial has been a resource for books and other media on a wide range of topics working with both smaller independent and larger publishers.
----------------
oliviaharis
social bookmarking