Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Annotated Bibliography

Banyai, Istvan. Zoom. New York: Puffin Books, 1998.
This is a wordless picture book of several different zoomed-in points from an airplane view. When I first looked at the book I had fun guessing the different view points the pictures would show next. I believe this book could be appreciated by any age group, but it is probably safest among mid-elementary children, most likely 1st-4th graders.

Banyai, Istvan. Re-Zoom. New York: Puffin Books, 1998.
So, I know it was a little cliché to read the “sequel” so-to-speak, but I just loved Zoom so much I wanted to see what he had done for this. I loved it! The illustrations are so cool and I loved again how I couldn’t tell where he was going to zoom from next. I just love that element of surprise! Again, I would recommend it for the same age group as Zoom.

Fleischman, Paul and Kevin Hawkes. Sidewalk Circus. Massachusetts: Candlewick, 2004.
This is yet another wordless picture book and includes scenes from a sidewalk while a young boy is sitting at a bus stop waiting for the bus to come. The boy imagines several circus events happening on the street while he waits. I think this book is best appropriate for young elementary students in kindergarten or first grade.

Fleischman, Paul. Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices. Illus. by Eric Beddius. New York: HarperCollins, 2005.
This Newberry Medal winner is a book about poems. These poems about insects and bugs are suppose to be read by two different people who take turns reading “meshing as a duet” as the author’s note states. I didn’t get a chance to read it with another person, but it is really cute! I think it would be a great way to introduce poems in a classroom. I would use it as a small group activity. I think students would really enjoy it! The book says it is for all ages, but I think it would be best for kids aged 9-12.

Holm, Jennifer and Matthew Holm. Babymouse: Our Hero. New York: Random House, 2005.
This book is a graphic novel about a young girl who has to play dodge ball against her will. She daydreams a lot which actually makes the book even more interesting. She pushes through her pain of having to play and actually ends up on top in the end. It is an entertaining comic, and I would recommend it to third or fourth graders.

Holm, Jennifer and Matthew Hold. Babymouse: Queen of the World! New York: Random House, 2005.
This is the first book of the Babymouse series the Holms did together. It introduces Babymouse and has more family and friends background information. In this story the most popular girl in school invites Babymouse to her sleepover, and Babymouse realizes that she has so much more fun with Wilson than this girl. It is basically about how Wilson and Babymouse became such great friends. I thoroughly enjoyed it because I finally got more background information on Babymouse. I would again recommend it for third and fourth graders.

Mora, Pat. Yum! MmMm! Que Rico!. Illus. Rafael Lopez. New York: Lee & Low, 2007.
This book is a collection of haikus as well as an information section on different kinds of foods grown all over the world. I think it is appropriate for all grade levels k-4. It is a wonderful book for introducing culture and poetry, and it is also a great informational book.

Mora, Pat. Listen to the Desert/Oye Al Desierto. Illus. by Francisco X. Mora. Clarion books, 2001.
I think this book would be good for a read aloud. The illustrations seemed a little to simple to me, but I think that it is a great way to introduce culture into children’s lives. The words are in English and in Spanish of course, and I think kids would enjoy it. I would read it aloud to K-2nd graders.

Pennypacker, Sara. Stuart's Cape. Illus. Martin Matje. New York: Scholastic, 2002.
This novel is about a young boy who is nervous about attending his first day of third grade at a new school in a new town he is completely unfamiliar with. While I didn’t enjoy the reading, I still believe it is well written and I feel children do actually appreciate this novel. I recommend it for second and third graders. It is a beginning chapter book with pictures, and I think it is a great stepping stone book for children transforming from picture books to chapter books.

Seuss, Dr. My Many Colored Days. Illus. Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. New York: Random House, 1996.
Dr. Seuss did an excellent job portraying colors in this short board book. It is definitely outside the box of the Dr. Seuss books I grew up with. It is also significantly shorter! I think it is a great book for preschoolers and pre-K.
I actually grew up reading the Dr. Seuss books and I would recommend them for any child in elementary school. Well, maybe early elementary school. After about late 2nd grade the students might think they are baby and lame books. I still enjoy them though! I love how he rhymes. I plan on reading them in class to my students often.

Wong, Janet. Minn and Jake. New York: Farrar, 2003.
This book was so adorable and the way Minn and Jake's friendship developed was just really cute. There was a lot of humor in the way the characters related to one another. I think this book is excellent for poetry and talking about friendship. It is for 3rd and 4th graders.

Wong, Janet. Apple Pie 4th of July. Orlando: Harcourt, 2002.
This story was very touching to me in a way I didn't expect. The young girl narrating the story was biased towards the American culture. However, she was able to see that people did in fact want Chinese food on an American holiday. I think this book is great for a k-1st and maybe 2nd grade audience.

Wong, Janet. Buzz. Orlando: Harcourt, 2000.
As I have said before I think this book is great for word recognition and repetition. I loved the illustrations. I think this book is great for little ones! I feel prek-1st grade, early first grade, is the best age group for this book.

No comments: