Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chapter 12

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

"Historical Fiction"

This chapter was on my good side and captured my attention instantly in just the second sentence. It basically asks why we expect kids to appreciate their historical heritage when next week seems like forever away to them. Well, why do we!? The texts makes a great point in that hearing stories of the past early on through picture books and novels help kids learn that history is an important subject that should not be overlooked.
It was nice to see that a textbook shares my beliefs about history textbooks and how they are not effective for kids making connections with themselves to the past. They are way too boring and they cover way too much information. I have never liked history textbooks, and I think that is why I cannot get into a historical novel or even a historical trade book made for children. I am that turned away by history.
I also liked the fact that the text states that "History should not be Sugarcoated" (146). I think it's important for the whole truth to be written down and not just bits and pieces to "protect" the reader. For example, even though it is not fun to read about every little detail of what the people in the holocaust went through, I think it's important we know what happened so we can see how sick and twisted it was so that it is not repeated again.
Out of the five categories of the types of historical fiction, I think the idea of reading a novel that speculates about alternative historical outcomes is the most interesting option to me. I think the whole "what if" approach to different historical times would be cool to explore.

No comments: