Thursday, February 21, 2008

Read Aloud Plan

Brenner, Barbara. The Three Little Pigs. New York: Random House, 1973.

For my read aloud, I am going to be reading the book The Three Little Pigs. It is an old folklore story that Walt Disney made into a movie and a book. I am sure we have all heard of it. I was suppose to read it one morning during circle time to my preschoolers before we started lessons for the day, but we could not find the book in the classroom! I ended up telling it to them anyways based off my memory. I was actually able to keep their attention for a while, but I was upset I couldn't remember every detail -- like what the second pig made his house out of. Anyways, I eventually found it, and plan on reading it to them very soon.

So, my plan is to show my preschoolers the book and ask them if they remember the time a couple weeks back when I tried to tell them the story off my memory. We'll discuss it, and then I'll read the book. I plan on using different tones in my voice to set apart the pigs' and the wolf's voices and also the narrator's. I've already read the book to myself, and I am really excited to read the actual story to them through and through.

After I read the book aloud to my students, I am going to explain to them why it is important to take the time to get things done the right way the first time they do something to avoid making mistakes like the first two pigs dig. Their mistakes being not making their houses strong enough to hold a wolf's puffs back. I'll explain to them there will always be time to "dance and play" (something the pigs say in the book). I think this book is age appropriate for the group I will be reading it to because at the age of a preschooler, it is good for adults to start preparing them for school and life outside playing all the time. That in life, work will need to get done and work that needs to be done is very necessary, but there will still be time for dancing and playing once the work is done.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Way to improvise when you couldn't find the book. I've had the same problem before in my class. What's funny is that my kids were more engaged with the dramatic story telling than they were with the picture book.