Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Many Colored Days and Goodnight Moon

Seuss, Dr. My Many Colored Days. Illus. Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. New York: Random House, 1996.
I thought this book was great. I liked how the words rhymed and the pages just seemed to flow. I think this book would be great to read to younger children. While you're reading it to them we can talk about how the colors represent ways we feel sometimes, and children can share times of when they felt a certain way and what type of color they are feeling today. I think it'd be great to read in the morning before starting lessons.

Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown

This is the board book I would have shared with the class tonight. I just loved this book as a child. I remember my Dad reading the paper back version to me before bedtime very vividly. I loved how it rhymed and how the little bunny said "goodnight" to every little thing in the room. I loved seeing the illustrations that matched what my Dad was reading to me. I remember looking at this book so well that I even know what I was wearing one time when Dad read it to me: just a Superior Railroad t-shirt that was a few sizes too big that my Papa had given to me. I think it's neat that a book can bring me back to a setting as a child, once upon a time.

A few months ago my roommate was reading this outloud to me when I was about to go to bed. (She was practicing for a read aloud she had to do for her field based experience class the next day...not to sound to weird here!) As she read it to me I just melted away into the old bedroom I use to have when I was 4 and 5 years old back when my Dad use to read me to sleep. It was so relaxing, and just really neat to drift back into those old days as a kid and have no worries! That's why I wanted to share it with the class.

No comments: