Monday, January 28, 2008

Chapter 18

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

Chapter 18 "Teaching with Children's Books"

I'm glad this chapter lists two pages of ideas on how to implement related activities to books. Unfortunately, I am not a creative person so I need all the help I can get! I really liked this chapter. I thought the authors made some really good insights. If only ALL teachers could read about how having book reports due basically no good, and how trade books are so much better than textbooks (well, for the most part). Also, I thought it was important when they said not every book the students read should have an assignment. This would most certainly help with children maintaining an interest in books. At least in my opinion based on my experiences it would.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I liked the list of ideas too. Especially the one about rewriting the story from a different characters point of view.