Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wong: Apple Pie 4th of July

Wong, Janet S. Apple Pie 4th of July. Illus. Margaret Chodos-Irvine. Orlando FL: Voyager Books/Harcourt, Inc., 2002.

This story was very touching to me in a way I didn't expect. The young girl narrating the story was biased towards the American culture. However, she was able to see that people did in fact want Chinese food on an American holiday. I have witnessed many other children hold a bias like this towards other cultures that are not their own. As a future teacher, I would use this book to help explain how different cultures exsist in the United States.

Also, based on the discussions held in class tonight, I agree that the illustrations are incredibly well drawn out. A child can easily see how the girl is feeling throughout the book, and it helps the reader set the tone.

No comments: