Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wong: Buzz

Wong, Janet S. Buzz. Illus. Margaret Chodos-Irvine. Orlando FL: Voyager Books/Harcourt, Inc., 2000.

As I was reading this story out loud tonight, I realized how frustrating the word "buzz" became, especially to an audience full of college students. However, I know that if I read it to my preschoolers they would have a blast saying the word for me as I pointed to it. I know that repetition is the best thing for them at that age with word recognition and letter sounds. We just got done painting bumble bees yesterday, and I really wish I had the book on me to introduce them to the art project. I am still excited to read it to them when I get the book though!

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Heather, you hit the nail of perception right on the head: we adults would maybe most likely frown on such obvious repetition, become frustrated or anxious, b/c it may come across to us as kind of obnoxious. But then kids would love it, I agree. It is kind of a game to them: they get to BUZZ every time they come to the word BUZZ, and you're happy to read a book like this year after year b/c they recognize one more word.